Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Thursday, September 14, 2006

OK, so here's the reason I haven't blogged much this week

On Tuesday I was hired by The Onion to be the Milwaukee city editor for The A.V. Club, the humor mag's entertainment section and one of my favorite pop culture pubs ever. I start on Oct. 2. My last day at The P-C is Sept. 28.

What does this mean exactly? First off, I'm not writing funny stuff. At least not stuff that's supposed to be primarily funny. I will be covering the entertainment scene in Milwaukee, interviewing local artists and characters and telling people which band to see on Friday night. It's pretty much the perfect job for me.

I'm obviously thrilled to be working for The Onion, if only because it's so much fun to tell people you work for The Onion. And this works out great on a personal level, as I have family in Milwaukee and my girlfriend and I will finally be able to live in the same city.

But I'm also a little sad because The P-C has been a monumental presence in my professional career. My first paycheck in journalism came from The P-C, back when I was 16 and writing for the unfortunately named teen page "Get With It!" I wrote a review of the U2 album "Zooropa" and was paid 15 bucks. The rest is history.

Anyway, I haven't been blogging much this week because things have been pretty hectic. But I am planning to keep Under 30 blog alive for personal use. So, you know, hopefully that's good news.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. you totally got fired.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iheard the news today at (where else?) the bar... I was at first saddened that Appleton would lose a truly unique son...

... then elated, because a better thing could not have happened to a better person.

Semper Fi, Steve Hyden!

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Steve ((wipes tears))! I'm truely happy for you ((sniff sniff)), but you will be missed. The P-C just won't be the same without you.
-r

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like a part of myself will be missing without you Steve. Is that pathetic that one of the only highlights to my week was reading your column?

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

steve you're a generally entertaining guy. i hope they find someone as generally entertaining to fill the gaping void left in my soul. or i'll just start writing my own columns and reading them. whatever.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

steve you're a generally entertaining guy. i hope they find someone as generally entertaining to fill the gaping void left in my soul. or i'll just start writing my own columns and reading them. whatever.

3:36 PM  
Blogger klhp said...

Congratulations, Steve! That is awesome! I think you will be a perfect fit for the Onion.

And Happy Living-in-the-Same-Town-as-Your-Girlfriend Day!

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home