Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Please ignore this video I just posted


The old complaint about MTV from codger music fans is that it made image more important than music. Which, of course, is ridiculous. Tons of people bought Elvis and Beatles records based solely on the coolness of the album covers. The fact that the music was great was an irrelevant coincidence. Image has always been a huge part of the equation.

Still, it's nice sometimes to fall in love with a band without knowing what they look like. Take Danish space rockers Mew. My favorite record right now is "And the Glass Handed Kites," a difficult but ultimately rewarding piece of prog rock sprawl that recalls a lot of music I love: "OK Computer" era Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, New Order and the Beach Boys, to name four bands.

I just watched the video for "The Zookeeper's Boy," my favorite track off the record, and my view of Mew has changed slightly. I still like the record, but, well, these dudes look kinda lame. If I saw the video without hearing the record first, I might dismiss it altogether. (Which is a greater indictment of me than Mew, but still.)

Watch the video and check out the band's MySpace page, which has four songs you can stream. (Including "Special," another album highlight.) And, please, try to ignore the singer's resemblance to Jon Bon Jovi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home