Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Is this hate mail?

OK, I'm finally back at work and ready to blog your freakin' socks off! For my opening number, I present an e-mail I recieved this weekend in re: to my column on stupid baby names.

Some of you thought the column would inspire reams of hate mail. You were mistaken. It's my experience that columns you think will tick people off almost never do, while those columns you assume are relatively harmless stir up a shuckstorm.

Response was muted for the most part, except for this e-mail:

To: Steven Hyden c/o shyden @ postcrescent.com

Dear Steven: Thanks for informing your readers (all three of them) about the secret meanings of names like TomKat and Suri. Analogous disillusionment attaches to practically every name, including unpronounceable ones like Mschwschw.

While “Steven” may boast of noble Greek derivation (crown?), it could mean something less flattering (clown?) in a Wysturian, Swabanonian or other dialect. My own epithet at birth (Kurt), short for Konrad, originally indicated a courteous chap, except in Magyarul, where it stands for something unprintable.

By the way, name-giving as a first exercise in name-calling (eponymy) is a prehistoric skill, possibly a precursor of diplomacy, inasmuch as the first Neanderthal who hurled words at his opponent instead of arrows was the Urbild of a politician. Future historians will have a hard time explaining 21st-century warfare as a step up from cavemanship.


I really like this e-mail, mainly because I have no idea what it means. I think he's ripping me a little bit, but he does it in such an obscure, almost charming way that I can't tell.

So, help me out: Is this hate mail or what?

3 Comments:

Blogger klhp said...

I don't know, but his name is Kurt with a 'k.' Ha.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, but it made me laugh aloud.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the e-mail. I'm confused by anyone who throws the word "urbild" into anything, but if that's what tickles their fancy....

tee hee hee... urbild...

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home