Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Friday, March 24, 2006

OK, so I won this award

An anonymous poster who I may or may not have kicked in the back when I was 10 posted a comment about my recent Milwaukee Press Club award for best topical columnist in Wisconsin. I wasn't going to blog about it otherwise because, well, it's a little embarrassing.

Obviously, I'm honored and flattered by the recognition. But I'm also on record calling journalism awards "dumb," "meaningless," "self-congratulatory," and "dumb." So to change my opinion now that I finally won one seems a tad hypocritical. But I'm not ungracious. I really do appreciate it. And it makes me feel good.

I'm just really surprised. Under 30 is (supposed to be) funny, and funny stuff never wins awards. If you want a journalism award (or as Oscar), you're much better off writing about a one-armed mentally handicapped mountain climber who triumphed over adversity than cracking wise on grinding. It's not my thing to do "human spirit" stories, which is not to say those stories aren't worthy, just that award judges typically think my stuff isn't. Until now, which is cool, I suppose.

2 Comments:

Blogger klhp said...

This award just proves what we already know: Steve and Under30 are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Congrats!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all so proud!

Congrats! -r

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home