Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

This is your ear on Q-Tips

A friend sent me this picture this afternoon. He took it after a doctor pulled the thing out of his ear. The black thing, not the dime.

Pretty gross, I know, but I post it because I'm fascinated. My friend just had his ears cleaned, and he said this kind of goo is typical in all ears. Here's what he wrote:

Believe it or not, that wad of ear filth came out of my good ear! I actually went in to get the other ear cleaned out (you should've seen the filth from the bad ear). It was a special day though - my ear had never given birth before.

I highly recommend getting a regular ear cleaning, like you might a teeth cleaning--especially if you're a Q-tip user. All that (stuff) gets shoved into the canal and, for whatever reason, turns black. After the cleaning, I was hearing things I've never heard before. Best $90 I ever spent.


My friend is promising nothing less than a transcendent, life-changing audio experience if I get my ears cleaned. Like I said, I'm fascinated. Will my taste in music change? Will I pick up dog whistles for the first time? Hmmm.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might even make you want to sleep in a real bed at night instead of on the floor. I say go for it!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

I just puked in my mouth.

6:11 PM  
Blogger klhp said...

I've heard that the ear candle thing is a hoax. I remember being little and seeing my grandpa do one. I was afraid that his ear was going to burn off.

Was the procedure an ear wash with saline or something? We need more details! If it's true that you can hear better afterwards, then sign me up. I swear, I say, "what?" more than I should at 27. (I'm still convinced that it's because I'm not fully paying attention...)

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, how does one get this done? The more I stare at it the more I want to have my ears cleaned.

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the dude whose ear produced that magnificent piece of filth. I was deaf in my left ear for about 8 days and tried every over-the-counter remedy on the market (yes, even candling which, yes, is a hoax as far as I'm concerned. It didn't do a thing except set off my smoke alarm. Some people swear by it though. There are even licensed candlers). Nothing worked so I went to an ENT doctor and he sucked everything out with a mini-vacuum in under 2 minutes. It was extremely satisfying and I HIGHLY recommend doing it. If not only for the souvenir.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We now have the basic plotline for "Aliens 5."

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't hear out of my left ear this past winter and it was horrible. Ear candling is a hoax.

I used the drops for about 5 days and finally got a bunch out after squirting warm water in their afterwards with a little more force. (Was scared to do with much previous to that).

I wouldn't doubt if all of us have that in our ears :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My boyfriend gets this shit too and I'm the one who irrigates and pulls it out. We did candling once and at the end there was a decent amount of his usual nasty wax he has right inside his ear, but the stuff deep down that needs to come out, was certainly not pulled out. I looked in his ears the other day and saw a nasty black chunk way back there, and I got it out, it was about that size you have. But yeah, I would recommend going to a doctor, I have some medical training, but I've seen scabs in the back from after irrigating and pulling out severe impacted wax, so be careful with your ears!!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home