Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Friday, June 16, 2006

"Another ignorant opinion about soccer from probably an overweight and physically unfit person"

E-mail is pouring in about my soccer column and, let me tell you, soccer fans are totally disproving my point about them being snooty elitists. Some examples:

"Another ignorant opinion about soccer from probably an overweight and physically unfit person who could not run (jog) more than a quarter of a mile. The only reason you are not raving about it is because our team not just lost, but was thrashed (yes 3:0 in soccer is called thrashing). And the reason they lost is because of people like you not caring about the sport and thus not supporting the team whole-heartedly regardless of your opinion. You should have saved your time and effort spent on writing this piece of garbage. Why don't you just write another raving review of a local Tom's Drive-In, that would suit your personality better. Grow up and stop being so ignorant."

(This e-mail came from a guy with the last name "Lard." Just thought that was kinda funny, you know, considering.)

"I am an American that was raised in Nigeria and I found the article to be very closed minded. Whoever wrote this article needs not only to updated his thinking abilities, but needs to catch up with the real world.

I blame American's lack of not loving the world cup on the American culture and media coverage. Americans feel that if there are not number one in something then it is a waste and unimportant. If they can not make millions off it then they will not promote it.

Please take time to raise the next generation of American to be a little different from you. God bless."

(Question: Why is it close-minded for me not to like something, but not close-minded of this guy to not accept that some people might not like soccer? What if I said Nigerians didn't watch the Super Bowl because they suck at football? Offensive, no? Also, I love the ending. "I hope your future children disavow all that you stand for and spit on your grave. God bless.")

"" 3-0? A blowout? That's winning by a field goal." No it is like scoring 3 touchdowns and winning 21-0."Americans don't watch soccer games.." Espn2 drew more viewers for a WC game than any other sporting event this year. "The problem is soccer. I don't like it." It's ok for you to not like it, but what is interesting is that you feel compelled to write about your distaste. I suspect there is some sort of insecurity about not being able to understand the aesthetic beauty of the game. You don't bash other sports, however no other sport has drawn 1.5 billion viewers for a game, as the WC opener did. Roughly 1 of 4 people on the planet. An average of 320 million viewers for every single game. That's 3x the number who watch the Super Bowl. I think it bothers you that you don't appreciate the sport and what you don't appreciate you must attack. By the way calling you an idiot is not snooty elitism. It is an ad hominem attack by a Neanderthal. So if it comforts you and assuages your insecurities. Have at it."

(Thanks.)

"unless you understand the game you can not enjoy it why is it that in baseball where guys stand around and chew and spit and scratch their private parts that a no hitter gets so much attention??? soccer is truly the beautiful game !! go out to sports america and watch a few games"

(????)

That's just a sample, kids. I'll post more as I get 'em.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve - Thanks for making me shoot water out of my nose. That is some funny stuff. :)
-r

12:42 PM  
Blogger Thomas Rozwadowski said...

If Steve is cleated to death this weekend, we'll know who to look at.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Thomas Rozwadowski said...

My bad, soccer fans will be glued to the World Cup this weekend.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I love reading your hate mail. Makes mine seem so lame.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, I must add this about soccer. Obviously soccer sucks, but the experience we had with "professional" soccer was priceless. Once upon a time there was a soccer team called the "Rebels", they played their games at Calder field in Menasha.

Inspite of all the promoting, they, of course, never had a crowd larger than five to watch them "play". This, however, did not deter the announcer from screaming at the "fans" to cheer, LETS HEAR IF FOR YOUR REBELS, YEAH YEAH, and other obnoxious crap.

This guy was so obnoxious, that I even called the cops and asked if this noise was legal, they said that it was and that realy ticked me off.

Anyway, the happy ending is that they no longer play this stupid "professional" sport across the street from us, in fact, I don't think that are around any more.

In closing, this stupid, worthlees, sport is only popular in other countries because its a cheap and easy sport to play, and fans can get totaly wasted and riot.

thanks for your wit this time.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home