Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Monday, June 19, 2006

More wisdom from soccer fans

Hey guys! What up? Just got back in the office after a long weekend. I hope to have some postage up soon. In the meantime, here are two more hate letters from disgruntled soccer people upset about my latest opus.

"i'm going to give you a constructive feed back my friend. Please if you don't know anything about soccer, please, please don't write anything about it, because you going to look like an idiot.
think out of the box (you country.) Soccer game it's the most sport played in the WORLD, if you have some coments about it, please talk to you stupid friends but don't do it in a VERY important newspaper like this one.
Questions???"

Just one: How did you know my friends were stupid?

"I dont feel that Steven is correctly informed about the game of soccer. I can make equal comparisons to football, baseball, basketball, or any other sport crying about some "jerky" kid on the team. I could say all basketball is about is putting a ball into a metal bucket with a hole in it, but that would just make me look like an idiot who doesnt know what he's talking about. Obviously sports are far more complicated than what first appears to the viewer. Did you even waste money paying Steven for this poorly written article? I dont understand the "snooty elitism of soccer fans" just because it's the most popular sport in the world and many people love to support their teams and countries doesn't make them a "superior" cocky person. I don't care if Steven doesn't like soccer but this isn't the type of thing Appleton needs to have in its newspaper prior to the Regional Tournament at USA Soccer Complex which will bring money into businesses in the community. This is quite embarassing article to have written in our local newspaper."

All basketball is about is putting a ball into a metal bucket with a hole in it? That's hilarious! I'm totally stealing that line for my next column!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's obvious we're stupid, we're your friends.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Steve Hyden said...

I watched part of a game on Saturday. It was boring.

What comment did you like?

6:11 PM  
Blogger Steve Hyden said...

I didn't get personal. I never said people were idiots for liking soccer. People called me an idiot for not liking soccer. My only "personal" comment was about jerky soccer players I knew in high school, which I took pains to make pretty specific.

What good points did he make? I know soccer is more complicated than how I described it. I was making a point about how it doesn't take great intelligence to understand soccer, just as you don't have to be Einstein to figure out most sports. So calling people dumb for not liking soccer seems, well, dumb to me. It's not a matter of intelligence (or American arrogance or whatever B.S.) but personal and cultural taste.

Also, "the snooty elitist" thing was in reference to American soccer fans, who call non-fans idiots for not liking soccer. Obviously I was proven wrong there.

I'll say this again: I hate how some soccer partisans want to turn this into Americans being idiots, arrogant, etc. because we aren't watching World Cup. Why can't Americans who don't like soccer just not like soccer and not have it be seen as a shortcoming?

I don't know if there's anything "wrong" with the letter. I just posted it because people like reading my hate mail.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your hate mail.
-r

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home