Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Is it a rage disorder, or are stupid drivers the ones with a disorder?

This story caught my eye because I'm obviously afflicted with road rage. At some point during a long drive, I will get angry at some dope parking in the passing lane and say words like (expletive), (expletive) and especially (expletive). Apparently this makes me mentally ill.

By definition, intermittent explosive disorder involves multiple outbursts that are way out of proportion to the situation. These angry outbursts often include threats or aggressive actions and property damage. The disorder typically first appears in adolescence; in the study, the average age of onset was 14.

Four a couple of decades, intermittent explosive disorder, or IED, has been included in the manual psychiatrists use to diagnose mental illness, though with slightly different names and criteria. That has contributed to misunderstanding and underappreciation of the disorder, said Coccaro, a study co-author.

Coccaro said the disorder involves inadequate production or functioning of serotonin, a mood-regulating and behavior-inhibiting brain chemical. Treatment with antidepressants, including those that target serotonin receptors in the brain, is often helpful, along with behavior therapy akin to anger management, Coccaro said.

Most sufferers in the study had other emotional disorders or drug or alcohol problems and had gotten treatment for them, but only 28 percent had ever received treatment for anger.


So maybe I'm screwed up. I won't disagree. But don't morons deserve some of the blame here? The passing lane is a PASSING LANE. You don't sit there going the same speed as the people in the right lane. This is plain wrong, not to mention dangerous. And you deserve to be called a major (expletive) for the offense. Am I wrong? AM I WRONG?!?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, you're wrong. Both lanes go the same speed unless marked otherwise.

This is why we can take freeway exits at 75 mph.

And I just have to say IED... poor timing on that abbreviation.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

steve, the only explosive disorder you have is the one going on in your adult diaper.

right ...

now.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw this yesterday. I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that isn't a disorder any more. I mean, there's no such thing as normal human behavior.

People getting angry is a disorder?

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's funny Lori -- I heard them talking about this on the morning news and I seriously assumed it had something to do with diarrhea

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home