Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Monday, May 15, 2006

Hate mail!

My Under 30 column on the national anthem didn't generate as much hate mail as a lot of people thought. (One person suggested half-jokingly that I might be shot. Nope, still here!) I always put faith in the senses of humor of P-C readers, and they rewarded me again. Thanks!

For the record, I am very patriotic. That's no joke. I love America. And I think it's the best place country in the world. For all of our faults (and there are many), Americans are generally generous, open-hearted people. There's a reason why the world turns to us (as opposed to, say, Europe) when something bad needs taken care of. (Nazis, terrorists, killer asteroids, etc.) The problem with patriotism is the biggest pro-America people promote the wrong things. Instead of talking up the Bill of Rights and all the brilliant art and culture we have spawned, it's all flags and ribbons and nationalism. Ugh.

Anyway, I got off track. Who wants to read some unintentionally hilarious hate mail?

Hate mail no. 1:

Steven Hyden is not a good representation of a 20 something's life. His article on the Star Spangled bannor is appauling. I am in my mid 20's and personally get chills when I hear the anthem sung prior to sporting events. Steve would like to change it to some rock songs. Steve you weren't even born when some of these songs were written let alone played, other than classic rock channels. Your a disgrace to the country, how can you say it shouldn't be in English, in case you missed it, you make your living on the English language. In closing your reference to Americans getting the "hottest chics" explains to me what type of person you are.

Hate mail no. 2:

How dare you impune the words of Francis Scott Key. If you really want to re write our Anthem, then talk to Francis and see if objects. At this point in time that is impossible, and I know that. However, our National Anthem was adopted by the People's voice, all be it through the vote of congress. Too bad you were not with the author of our Anthem at the time it was penned. Too bad you were not a prisoner of war with the slight hope of remaining alive at the sight of your colors. Mr. Hyden you need to be ashamed of yourself. Our National Anthem was and is not meant to inspire the air guitar. It was written from the heart of a man facing execution. If the flag was still waving at the gleaming of the dawn then he lived, and if the enemy had overtaken our position then he would die. The National Anthem was written to inspire reverence and holiness. To evoke a sincere feeling of awe and respect not only for this nation but for the colors represented by it. I suggest you tell the men who fought upon Mt. Siribachi the the National Anthem is a bad song. Or the men who walked out of the Ashaw Valley on foot that the National Anthem is a bad song. You tell the men who died at Laitu that the National Anthem is a bad song. Please tell the men on the 38th parallel that the National Anthem is a bad song. When you have their permission to change the words of the National Anthem, then, and only then will I support your cause.

9 Comments:

Blogger klhp said...

I've always thought that "America the Beautiful" should have been our national anthem. (In fact, I think that there have been petitions to switch it to that.) That is a song that always gives me goosebumps.

The SSB is too hard to sing. If we had a more singer-friendly national anthem, we wouldn't have to listen to awful renditions of it a la Roseanne.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I don't agree with the hate mail, I definately don't agree with Steve. I certainly don't consider this country one of the better nations. And I certainly don't think other countries turn to us, nor do I recall i nany point in history us ever fighting Nazis or terrorists on other people's behalf. I'm not really sure what that's a reference to.

The killer asteroids, I admit, we've done a fine job of. I can only recall one we failed to stop, and that was almost 65 million years ago, so we have a pretty good track record. Besides ,that was in MEXICO so it was THEIR problem.

I don't have any problem with the thought of switching our anthem to "America the Beautiful"; it certainly corrects the bulk of the problems with SSB and is more imaginatively scenic and delicious.

And I agree Steve represents the minority of 20-somethings.

Urbild.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Steve Hyden said...

I also agree I represnt the minority of 20somethings -- me.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to offer my apologies if I was in any way offensive.

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how dare you IMPUNE the words of francis scott key??
huh?
HOW DARE YOU?

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you were not with the author of our Anthem at the time it was penned.

these are the only ones who may question the greatness

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider this country one of the better nations. All things considered, who's better?

I'm assuming we can eliminate any nation in Africa, and noone from South America comes to mind, so we're down to five continents - four, since we can also eliminate Antarctica.

Who's markedly better than we are? The Netherlands? Canada? Japan? I mean, they all have problems, too. Maybe not the same ones, but come on ... Canada's had a "state" trying to secede for decades. In Japan you work 80 hours a week for a 100-square foot apartment. And the Netherlands only exists at the leisure of all the nations surrounding it.

I'm just saying, badmouth the U.S. if you like, but don't throw something out there like "We're a mediocre nation" without some better suggestions.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell us about your trips to south america matt

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who get upset about the SSB in Spanish who cannot write or speak English Fluently? I can't decide whether this is funny or upsetting.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home