Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Monday, March 13, 2006

This is what happens when you judge a bartending contest

A perk of working for a newspaper is you sometimes get mistaken for a celebrity. This weekend, I was invited to judge a bartending contest at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel with friend and Post-Crescent co-worker Eric Klister. Apparently they wanted "celebrity judges." So I canceled my skiing trip to Aspen and dinner meeting with Steven Spielberg to be a celebrity judge.

How does one judge a bartending contest, you ask? Well, a bartender makes you a drink, and you drink it for free, and then write down whether you liked it. That's it. Oh, you're also supposed to comment on color, presentation, whether the bartender has a good personality and blah blah blah. Did I mention the free drinks?

Anyway, being a celebrity judge isn't all fun and games. After all is said and done, you end up looking like these sorry fools below.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Jen deep-six her photo after our in-depth discussion of it that night?

Anyhow, Steve and Eric did a phenomenal job considering the execution of the contest sucked (Be sure to pick up Canadian Mist for your next night on the town!)

And by phenomenal job, I mean they drank a hell of a lot of whiskey.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see david n.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that dude smelling your finger?

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ol' Itchy Ankles has fled to the underground.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, there's something totally wrong with this picture. steve -- are you really that huge, or are those other dudes just tiny? and what's with all the fingers? especially THE finger?

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i hope you washed that finger before you stuck it up his nose... I KNOW where it has been. You have had it up you butt since you were a whiny little kid.
sincerely,
Paul

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am never, ever drinking brown alcohol again. And I didn't take nearly as much advantage of my "celebrity" status as my partner in crime.

Though I did consume enough to rock out to "Ace of Spades." There's just something about whiskey combined with Motorhead.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes you did paul - fess up!

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your Blog. I'm going to see if you have more information about bar night club supply later.

Thanks for the information. Keep it up.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home