Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Monday, June 12, 2006

Didya see Elvis?!?

Saw Elvis Costello with Allen Toussaint this weekend and it was magnificient. Great songs, great musicianship, great feelings all around. My friend and Green Bay Press Gazette music reporter Tom Rozwadowski filed an extensive report here.

Costello is one of my favorite songwriters, and he has long been near the top of my list of People I HAVE To See In Concert. Elvis didn't disappoint. He was warm, fun and his voice sounded fantastic. But the big treat of the night was Toussaint, a New Orleans R&B legend whose work I'm most familiar with as a producer and sideman for other artists, namely The Band and the Meters. A lot of time was given in the set list to the wonderful songs Toussaint has written over the years, many of which I knew but didn't know he wrote, including "A Certain Girl" and "Workin' in a Coalmine." I definitely plan on investing in some Toussaint music soon.

Here's hoping it's not another 29 years before Elvis returns to the Fox Valley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home