Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

TV's Golden Age

Geez, I'm posting a lot today. It's P.O.D., mon freres.

I gotta point you, once again, to my peeps at The AV Club, which has a really interesting Crosstalk feature on the slate of spring's new TV shows.

Writer Scott Tobias makes a statement that seems bold only on its face, which is that we're in the midst of a golden age of television. To me, this is painfully obvious unless you are (1) one of those awful ninnies always complaining about too much sex and violence on TV or (2) one of those awful snobs who look down on TV watchers because they're not out climbing mountains or something. More than film and certainly music, TV is creating truly innovative work that also has mass appeal.

Without thinking too hard I can rattle off lots of great shows from recent years that challenge and entertain in equal measure: "The Sopranos," "The Shield," "Nip/Tuck," "The Wire," "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "24," "Gilmore Girls," "Chappelle's Show," "The Office," "Thief" and the recent HBO show "Big Love" to name a few. There also are shows that I haven't watched but have received great acclaim: "Lost," "Deadwood," "Desperate Housewives," "Battlestar Gallactaca" and so on.

So, please, stop exercising and watch more TV. You're missing out otherwise.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Veronica Mars, Veronica Mars, Veronica Mars... Not that I'm obsessed or anything.

Also, can we count Freaks and Geeks, even though it has been more than 5 years? Because I still watch those DVDs and will mourn that show forever.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Thomas Rozwadowski said...

kbl, i already love your blog. you don't have to suck up to me by saying you miss "freaks and geeks."

steve, you already know i love "arrested development," particularly the first season. while it's officially dead, it has to be added to the list. i also want to include the short-lived NBC show, "boomtown." that it actually made me respect donnie wahlberg tells you how damn good it was.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tick

-r

9:18 AM  
Blogger Steve Hyden said...

Thanks Tom, totally forgot "Arrested Development."

I didn't mention "Freaks and Geeks" because it was on six years ago. But it is my second favorite TV show of all-time.(Only The Sopranos beats it.)

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it feels like it was only yesterday... To me, James Franco will always be the sleepy-eyed, greasy-haired Daniel and I don't see any episode of television surpassing "Discos & Dragons" as my favorite hour of TV ever made anytime soon. But yes, I suppose I can concede that six years is a little too far in the past to qualify as part of today's golden age.

I'm standing by Veronica Mars, though. Any show that can work "shocker" and "Dirty Sanchez" into one episode will always earn my respect (and Maeby and George Michael were on an episode just a few weeks ago).

1:21 PM  
Blogger Steve Hyden said...

"Discos and Dragons"?

Sigh.

Also...
As I ride on my horse through the countryside, I said, "Lady L, let me take you for a ride." As she pulled the reins on that horse she pulled the reins of my soul. I'm out of control!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Thomas Rozwadowski said...

i'm thinking a collaborative blog feature between the three of us on greatest "freaks and geeks" moments is in order ...

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, if we do a threeway, does that mean that we fornicate it? I'm not sure you butt patters can be trusted...

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on kbl! Veronica Mars! And Freaks & Geaks, a show that was killed way before its prime!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home