Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Suck/lame: The media

We continue our mission of clearly defining those people, things, ideas, thoughts, actions and other nouns and verbs of questionable suckitude with one of the world’s most influential and controversial institutions, the media.

OK, so I work in the media so maybe I'm biased. (Um, actually, I'm not biased at all! No siree, definitely not biased! Forget I said that!) Anyway, I think the media is pretty cool. The media is staffed by tireless professionals who have dedicated their lives to informing and entertaining the public. Without the media, people still would be stuck in caves picking dirt and bugs off of each other. If some folks have a problem with the media, it’s only because the media reflects certain realities about the world they might not like. Of course, it’s also possible some folks hate the media because it historically has distorted women, minorities and anybody else not in power. Or they might hate the media because it is a machine powered by sex, violence and sitcoms starring vulgar fat guys and their pretty wives. At any rate, the media’s rep makes lawyers look like priests.

So, is the media a force for good in the world or evil? In other words, does it suck? Please vote by NOON FRIDAY.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an easy one. Not Suck. -r

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not suck, but hey, next time try to pick a more broad idea...

Asking if the media sucks is like asking if food sucks.

New York Times=a nice prime rib dinner with all the fixings.

Nancy Grace doing another damn Natalie Holloway story=that goulash crap they used to serve at UWO.

Extra/Entertainment Tonight=baklava (tasty to some, but that garbage will kill you)

Nonetheless, both overall categories are needed at some level to function. Can't possibly suck.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Hyden said...

All:

The question is broad on purpose because management feels that makes it funnier.

Management could be mistaken.

-- The Management

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well because Oprah is so cool, I have to vote not suck.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self referencing sucks too.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone just stole my identity, bastards. Anyone who knows me knows I would never badmouth self-referencing.

I think I was identity-jacked.

5:50 PM  
Blogger klhp said...

Not suck.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

Eh, not suck. Mostly.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suck. Let's face it- there's been a severe moral decline in the media, and it's having a negative impact on our country, no matter how much you try to deny or justify it.
I found this article that takes the words right out of my mouth:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~jvanasu/vcai/bursua/

And I'm not even a cranky old lady- I'm a 19-year old liberal. If I can see this, than you all should too.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not suck. Since, you know ...

Kinda like T. Higuera's idea that the NYT = a prime rib dinner. I just hope I don't later find out that they copied the recipe from somewhere else but failed to give the chef credit.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do I vote? I can't find a ballot anywhere on this site. Just count my vote for "suck".

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blah, blah, blah moral decline, blah, blah, blah. Because nobody was fucking before we had TV. Not to mention how wonderful everything was in this country when we had the Hays code.

Not suck. I don't work in media, but I work closely with the (news) media and by and large I find it to be a group composed of dedicated, intelligent, hard-working individuals (excluding some pretty notable exceptions, but I will refrain from naming names since, you know, I still have to deal with them). Sure, things get missed and I think a better job needs to be done at pushing accountability in some quarters, but overall, we'd be a lot worse off without them then we are with them.

And that goes for the broader category, as well. I know I have benefitted from NPR and America's Next Top Model and The New York Times and The Fog of War and Veronica Mars and The Guardian and a whole host of other things. And if I think The Simple Life is a harbinger of the inevitable decline of Western Civilization, well, that's why I choose not to watch it. I find people who whinge and whine about how much they hate "the media" as an aggregate tend to be the same people who are absolutely unable to deal with anything that doesn't exactly conform to their worldview. (Gross generalizations? Me? Never!) Does Sean Hannity fill me with rage? Of course. Do I think I should categorically blame every member of "the media" for his astonishing douchebaggery? No. Plus, I have a total crush on David Gregory.

Wow, this got uncontrollably long. Sorry.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Thomas Rozwadowski said...

Er, what he/she said, except the David Gregory part. Two words: Geraldo Rivera!

Not suck.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home