Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Thursday, April 13, 2006

How loved are you, or, How long would it take for your rotting corpse to be discovered?

You think your life sucks? I'm pretty sure you have nothing on this woman, who lay dead in her apartment for three years (!) before being discovered this week.

Joyce Vincent was surrounded by Christmas presents and the television and heating in her bedsit were still on.

The 40-year-old's body was so decomposed that the only way to identify her was to compare dental records with a holiday photograph.

Police believe she probably died of natural causes in early 2003, and was only found in January this year when housing association officials broke into the bedsit in Wood Green, North East London.

They were hoping to recover the thousands of pounds of rent arrears that had piled up since her death.


Understanding landlord aside, this woman obviously had a lonely existence to be dead so long before anybody noticed.

This should be the new standard for how loved a person is: How long would it take your decomposing corpse to be discovered? I say two days for me. What about you guys? For your own corpse, I mean?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a roommate, so I'd be found pretty fast. But stories like this always make you question things.

Like, didn't her mailman notice her overstuffed box? Even if she got no personal mail, do you know how much junk mail I get in three years?

What about bills? And that back rent? What landlord let's three years of rent slide? Housing laws in Britain must be great.

5:11 PM  
Blogger klhp said...

What makes me sad is that this woman found the courage to leave an abusive relationship only to die alone and not missed by others.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

HA.

Jen, that's hilarious. My mom is the exact same way. So, I'd give it the same amount of time.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen's mom = my boss. If my cell phone goes unanswered or my Blackberry ignored for more than a few hours, a search party would be sent out. Probably to ask me why the fuck I'm not working than out of love or concern, but still.

3:11 PM  
Blogger klhp said...

I think we have the same mom.

(P.S. I told my mom about this post and how "our mom" would have the search party out in 25 hours. She got the giggles which turned into full-blown laughter, then got very serious and said, "You know, it's true." Love you, Mom.)

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home