Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Check out Mylo

The most addictive album I have bought yet this year is “Destroy Rock & Roll,” a delicious dance pop confection by British electronic artist Mylo.

I discovered Mylo via the online music snob Bible, Pitchforkmedia.com, an essential source for the latest in underground music as long as you don’t actually read the long-winded reviews. “Destroy Rock & Roll” will sound familiar to fans of Air, Daft Punk and Basement Jaxx. In fact, fans of those groups might scream “Plagiarism!” after hearing highly derivative tracks like “In My Arms” and “Sunworshipper,” which shamelessly lift from the late ’90s French synth-pop sound without directly stealing any melodies.

Originality is an overrated attribute for pop music anyway. At least when you steal as well as Mylo does. The fingerprints of obvious influence might be all over “Destroy Rock & Roll,” but they don’t dilute the disc’s infectiousness. “In My Arms,” which has been my favorite song for weeks, takes a cheesy sample from Kim Carnes’ “Bette Davis Eyes” to create an ecstatic piece of pop perfection as catchy as anything from Daft Punk’s “Discovery.”

Buy “Destroy Rock & Roll” before corporate America turns it into a soundtrack for cell phone commercials. (Listen to song samples here.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mylo is alright. Personally, I prefer his remixes. Check out, for example, his remix of "Breathe Me" by Sia... it's very alluring.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home