Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A long distance dedication to the fetus-looking kid on "American Idol"

I just received this e-mail re: my latest Check It Out column.

I feel the need to bloviate about your article "Check It Out" in the Sunday paper.

Did someone die and you thought you were put in charge of judging people by their physical appearance? Have you looked in the mirror at yours lately? What image do you see?

To write: "My favorite was the fetus-looking kid..........." My questions to you are these: What gives you the right to judge someone's physical appearance and make a judgement like that? Much less make it in the media? What if that phrase would be picked up in the national media? Do you have any concept or even care how much damage that could do to that young man?

I sincerely hope you will re-think making that kind of a statement in the future!


Fetus-looking kid, I apologize if my off-hand remark offended you. I didn't mean "fetus-looking kid" in a bad way necessarily. I was merely trying to illustrate that you look awfully young for your age, which I believe is 11. And, by the way, I happen to think fetuses are beautiful. Or at least cute.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

weren't you quoting simon on that one? or has he not gotten there yet. I know he hit up the 'fat' girl because they talked about it on my tv news - mwr

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that he resembles a fetus so much as the result of a Doogie Howser/Vinnie Delpino "What if they mated?" Which, if I think about it, sounds sort of fetus-like...

12:27 PM  
Blogger Upland Research said...

I have a few questions. Let's say your "fetus-looking" comment did get picked up by the National media. Would the loyal audience let their abortion rights views influence their American Idol voting? How could a Pro-Lifer vote off a fetus? And what would be the over/under on number of headlines that would have some variation of "Fetus Aborted on Live Television" the morning after he got voted off?

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i had my own column, i would call fetushead "a tiny mouse-boy with over-groomed brows, a rockin' speech impediment and a hint of the crossed eye."

do you think THAT would piss mommy off? come on! the kid's putting himself out there. money for ridicule. did don knotts live and die in vain?

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He also has a lisp, I think, which blows my mind. I can't think of too many singers with a lisp.

Do all fetuses have lisps?

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait is the writer calling you a fetus looking kid too? .. or just wondering if you have a magic mirror

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home