Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Friday, February 17, 2006

Does he suck? results

For starters, I want to thank everybody for voting. There were 49 Bono-related posts and 22 votes cast, a little lower than "Napoleon Dynamite" but still robust.

Now the results. It was my "desire" that Bono inspire an "unforgettable fire" of debate, and I'm proud to say that I have not "still haven't found what I'm looking for," meaning I have found what I was looking for. Anywaaaay...out of 22 votes cast, 13 voted Not suck and 9 voted Suck. If you add MY vote for (drum roll) NOT SUCK, that means Bono doesn't suck by a surprisingly decisive 60 to 40 percent margin.

The big issue of the election wasn't Bono's music, but his tendency to be a blowhard. I anticipated this argument, and like I said earlier, I'm understanding of it. But I side with Tom Roz, who wrote: "I believe Bono is a good person. As was already mentioned, there are worse things you could do with fame than try and help poor people. Bono acknowledges the way he uses those connections."

My girl KBL also had three chords and the truth: "Yes, he can be wildly irritating, painfully fake and insufferably holier-than-thou. People who’ve met him say he can be a self-important douche. But... He's amazing at what he does, and what he does is pretty amazing. I can understand hating him, but hating him and him sucking are two different things ... And I’ll forgive a lot of the person who brought me One."

Me too, sister. Besides, could we really say Dashboard Confessional doesn't suck and Bono sucks? That would mean Bono sucks for being a loudmouth philanthropist, while Dashboard doesn't becuase "he's cute." Not right, and thankfully, not the result.

Still, I'm a little disappointed that the Suck trigger hasn't been pulled yet. I'm slightly tempted to put Stapp on the block just to clear the palette, but this is about people of QUESTIONABLE, not OBVIOUS, suckitude. We can't forget our mission.

Keep your eyes peeled Wednesday for the next Does he suck? As always, I want your suggestions.

3 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

OK, I'll be the first to post a pleasant, non-hater comment: Hats off to team Not Suck this week. (Although I cringe as I say it).

And, really, let's all just get along.

Or don't. You know, whatever.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lifetime exemption list..

bob dylan at #1...
maybe you can post this along the left side of the blog under the does he suck results... just so we all know who's untouchable. i'm sure it'd be an evolving list

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike Krista, I'm a total hater, so I just want to restate for the record that to me, the suckitude of Dashboard Confessional is of the decidedly obvious sort. "Hands Down." Though this decision on Bono has restored my faith in Suck/Not Suck--not to mention democracy--to a degree.

And Steve, I'm forever your girl. Unless you assert that 3 Doors for Fighting doesn't suck, in which case you are dead to me.

In completely unrelated news, why did I choose to visit the Homeland the weekend of the -50 windchill? Because I suck, clearly.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home