Under 30

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Friday, September 22, 2006

Did you watch "The Office" last night?

I did. I liked that they didn't dwell too much on the Jim/Pam thing, especially after the commercials really lathered on the gooey romantic bullcrap. Outing Oscar was a brilliant move, even if Michael continues to inch closer and closer to the line between realistic stupidity and unbelievable stupidity. Oscar already is one of the most fully realized gay characters ever to be on TV. He's one of the few characters I can think of whose gayness isn't used as (1) a cheap joke; (2) shorthand for being weird and interesting or (3) ticket to victimhood. He's as boring as the straight people on the show.

P.S. Does anybody else love that weird-looking redhead with the drinking problem? One of my favorite moments last night was when she put Angela's hand soap on her tongue. Very quick and subtle, but a funny joke, I thought.

What did you think?

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Roz said...

Ed Helms' character is going to ROCK. He went to Cornell, you know.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I was nervous about the addition of the "second Office" to the show with Jim transferring. But I'd have to agree with Thomas, Ed Helms was the perfect person to bring into the show to be Jim's new Dwight. I do enjoy Chip "Whose Line" Esten and Rashida Jones as well.

The "gaydar" running joke was hilarious too.

2:10 PM  
Blogger paul said...

I really enjoyed it. They are definitely great with the little details, like Meredith's sampling of the sanitizer (as mentioned) and (my favoritE) Roy's DWI booking picture.
With Jim's transfer and Roy's rededication to winning back Pam, they have it set up to keep that storyline on a nice little boil all season. Perhaps Roy will also become a sympathetic figure through season 2?

My favorite thing about the series is how cleverly they go back and forth from nearly absurdist humor to real drama and heart. For example, when Oscar said he couldn't work in the office anymore, I really felt for him. Of course, the next minute Michael is ridiculously trying to kiss him, but yet it was so well-meaning and heart-felt that is sort of made sense coming from Michael.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous mark said...

i missed it. and you should have had me over to see it. now i'm sad.

now i'm over it.

next time i'll tune in

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home